Mathematics and Applied Mathematics (MAM) at Mälardalen University is a strong research environment (profile) both nationally and internationally which has the main responsibility for research and doctoral studies within the subject Mathematics/Applied Mathematics as well as constitute research base for all education within the main area Mathematics/Applied mathematics, for Engineering and for Economics fields of study, as well as contributing to interdisciplinary collaboration and cooperation within research, research education and undergraduate studies.
The research environment Mathematics and Applied Mathematics MAM consists of four research groups:
- Stochastic processes, Statistics and Financial Engineering
- Engineering Mathematics
- Algebra and Analysis with Applications
- Discrete mathematics and modelling of behaviour and culture
conducting research and education in Mathematics and its applications.
In MAM, one can complete doctorate, licanciate, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in Mathematics/Applied Mathematics. After reading the basic courses one can choose from a wide range of courses in the areas where MAM conducts research today.
In addition, Mälardalen University offers the following programs specifically in the subject area Mathematics/Applied Mathematics:
- Bachelor’s Programme in Analytical Finance
- Bachelor’s Programme in Engineering Mathematics (given in Swedish)
- Master’s Programme in Financial Engineering
- Master’s Programme in Engineering Mathematics
In the research environment MAM, Mathematics/Applied Mathematics research is conducted in
- Mathematical statistics, stochastic processes and financial mathematics
- Engineering mathematics
- Mathematical analysis and functional analysis
- Discrete mathematics with applications in social sciences
- Applied matrix analysis, operator analysis and operator algebra,
- Non-commutative analysis and non-commutative geometry,
- Dynamical systems,
- Mathematical learning theory,
- Optimisation and operational research
and applications of Mathematics in
- Computer science, Information and communication engineering, Embedded systems and Robotics
- Physics and related sciences
- Finance and Economics
- Health technology, Biomedical engineering and Bioinformatics
- Environmental sciences, Energy engineering and Resource Optimisation
The School of Education and Culture and Communication (UKK) at Mälardalen University is a host school for all research, graduate and undergraduate education in the subject area and main subject of Mathematics/Applied Mathematics at Mälardalen University.
The research leader for the Mathematics and Applied Mathematics research environment MAM is Professor Dr. Sergei Silvestrov.